Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Fermeture Annuelle (or What's Closed in Paris at Xmas)

One of the best signs I've seen in a shop in Paris is the one that roughly translates as "Closed for no good reason."
How very Parisian.
To know and love Paris is to have arrived at one of your favorite haunts only to find that it is closed for holiday in some inexplicably long way; in some way that screams the very Frenchness that is both frustrating and enchanting. This is perhaps best exemplified by the fact that Berthillon, arguably the best ice cream in Paris (that's right, it's not some high-falutin' gelato, it's ice-damn-cream, the real deal), is closed for the entire month of August! When do people want ice cream? Anyone, anyone...Bueller? That's right, August.
So I have, in a purely self-serving way, listed the annual closings for Xmas of some of my favorite spots in Paris and some spots that are potential favorites of the future (I haven't yet tried them but I'm intrigued). I promise these are inaccurate so don't pull a "Bressler" and do check for yourselves on the dates and times of closings. Pulling a "Bressler" means when you rely on my statement that "you really should do the Orsay tomorrow morning, very early" and get up super early despite jet lag and rush your whole family out of the house, having mapped out an entire day around starting at the Orsay and then lunching right nearby, only to find that I was completely freakin' wrong and it's closed and you're too damn nice to yell at me so I just feel really, really guilty and you won't let me buy you dinner to assuage my guilt which, when you think about it, really makes you (not me) the bad guy, right, right? Again, I'm sorry Bresslers!

Name: L'Oudino
Address: 17, Rue Oudinot , Paris
Neighborhood: 7th
Phone: +33 1 4566 0509
Website: www.oudino.fr
Hours: Monday - Friday, 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM; Saturday, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM. Closed Sunday.
Holiday Closure: December 24 - January 1

Woo Jung
8, Boulevard Delessert, Paris
Neighborhood: 16th
+33 1 4520 7282
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM, 7:00 PM - 10:30 PM. Closed Sunday.
Holiday Closure: December 18 - January 1

Name: Chez l'Ami Jean
Address: 27 Rue Malar, Paris
Neighborhood: 7th
Phone: +33 1 4705 8689
Website: www.amijean.eu
Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM, 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM. Closed Sunday and Monday.
Holiday Hours: Closed December 23 - January 3

***These people clearly weren't born in France as they're only taking off Xmas and New Year's Day -- so I'm gonna get me some of them delectable goose dumplings and Beef Tan Dinh!
Name: Tan Dinh
Address: 60, rue de Verneuil, Paris
Neighborhood: 7th
Phone: +33 1 4544-0484
Website: None
Hours: Monday - Saturday, 12:00 PM - 11:00 PM

Name: Chez Les Anges
Address: 54, Blvd de la Tour-Maubourg, Paris
Neighborhood: 7th
Phone: +33 1 4705-8986
Website: www.chezlesanges.com
Hours: Monday - Friday, 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM, 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM. Closed Saturday and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment